Dedicated to revolutionary open source prototyping by introducing creative design with modern resources, pursuing the next generation of technological solutions

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

New UAV Project

I will be exploring the application of my own personal UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) / Reconnaissance plane this summer. My goals are as follows:


- Full autopilot and stabilization
- Autonomous GPS Navigation
- Real-time telemetry (Airspeed, Location, Video, Orientation)
- Manual control
- 30+ minute mission duration (limited by battery)
- RC auxiliary "bay doors" for dropping presents to friends
- 1+ mile range (really looking for 2-3, costs may limit this goal for now)
- Auto landing
- Emergency landing system + Failsafe beacon
control systems only backup battery


I've completed a prototype design to test the feasibility of this project, and to learn a little about what challenges I am going to face to reach my goals. The prototype design is based around a cheapo foam glider I bought on the internet. Here are some pictures:







2 comments: